Perils of track events...

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Perils of track events...
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:47:59 -0800
I ran a drivers' event today at Sears Point -- car seemed quite well balanced
with the new anti-roll bar setup.   I really enjoyed the track -- very
different from Laguna Seca -- a number of well-connected turns, uphill and
downhill, only one short straight (enough to get up to 100 MPH,
though).

In the afternoon, I was motoring up this straight flat out at about 5,000 RPM
being passed by a new Porsche Turbo, when I heard a sound like breaking glass
and then a very loud clattering sound.  The car lost power, a little, and I
noticed
a huge cloud of smoke behind.  Luckily I was able to coast uphill to the
paddock.
Got a video of this from outside of the car!

When I stopped, I saw a rod with an intact wrist pin sticking garishly out of
a hole in the lower block.  No piston in sight.  Also a very large hole in the
pan just below that.  Otherwise, everything looked fine.

Not sure what happened, but the car is home now -- a new project for the
new year!  Anybody have a 3.8 Jaguar block laying around?

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps rouler!