Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Informal Poll on "sort of" pre-reg. for autox !
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:24:18 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Alan Gruner wrote:

> I have liked the registration timing and scoring
> system we have for several reasons.
> 1.It is fairly easy to understand/learn.
> 2.Aside from the timing equipment, it is reasonably
> weatherproof and doesn't stop if the power goes out.
> 3.Regstration is not destroyed if someone drops a
> computer on the pavement.
> 4. It makes use of an abundant resource at our events;
> intelligent people.
>
> Here is my suggestion for the first version of an
> online registration process.
>
> 1. Member preregisters and pays through the website.
>
> 2. Prior to the event, the information is used to
> preprint cards with name, address, member number,
> driver license number, car number, and any other
> information he or she chooses to include. The cards
> are clearly marked prepaid. If someone doesn't show
> the card can be used at a future event.
>
> 3. At the event, the members who register online pick
> up their cards at the registration table and sign the
> waivor. We can have two lines. If someone has a clever
> way to flag novices, those that online register could
> pick up their cards at the "Novice Table"

So... what have you saved?  You've essentially eliminated the payment
procedure, which isn't a bottleneck anyway.  BTW, you now need the
registrar to have a printer that can handle card stock.

I understand that you've made the DRIVER'S life somewhat easier, but not
that you've improved the registration process, and you've introduced
several single points of failure.

> We could add work signup to the online registration
> and preprint names in the sign up sheets as well. My
> concern is having a complete newbie signing up jobs
> like starter, or card sorter that require a lot of
> familarity with how events run to be done effectively.

You have no guarantee until they check in that someone who signed up to,
for example, announce group 3 will actually show up to fill that role.  In
the meantime nobody else will sign up for it...

> This is a complete tangent, but one of my first SFR
> events was Aquabowl 2000. A well intentioned
> registration worker suggested I be card sorter and
> stay out of the rain. At the appointed time with cars
> ready to roll I sat down next to some named Jim (Ochi)
> and woman named Katie (Kelly) and said, "Show me what
> to do." There was another complete novice trying to
> run the timer. After 15 minutes, a few reruns from
> timing problems, and numerous missing or late cards,
> Katie was ready to kill us and Jim was sorting and
> scoring. It was not pleasant and wasn't until a slush
> event that year I worked in the motorhome again.

Before my first time working in the trailer, I took the opportunity to ask
if I could stand in the trailer during a prior run group so that I could
observer, ask questions, and generally figure out what the hell I was
accepting responsibility for.  Just a thought.  ;)

KeS