RE: renting a car with a manual tranny

To: "'Kelly, Katie'" <kkelly@spss.com>,
Subject: RE: renting a car with a manual tranny
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:15:12 -0700
It doesn't end with stick shift instruction.  Ever see loved ones trying to
teach each other how to play golf?  Bad scene.
I agree you need someone who can be cold and emotionally detached to
accomplish this vital mission.

Having said that, I've taught several friends to drive a stick, some even
successfully.  From my many experiences, I've learned a bit about what works
and doesn't work.  To wit:

1) I find it helps to give a brief chalk talk session beforehand to describe
how the various parts of a manual drivetrain work and how the driver input
acts on these parts, no matter how mechanically disinclined the pupil is.
It helps them visualize and understand why they have to take the clutch out
slowly, and why the car rolls backwards.  If you need some neat, simple
illustrations to help make the point, try the HowStuffWorks website:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

2) Everyone thinks the hardest part of learning is the clutch, because
that's the pedal they haven't seen before.  I disagree, I think the hardest
part is learning to modulate the throttle.  When you drive an auto, you're
not used to the throttle being so "jumpy" like it is when an engine is
unloaded in neutral.  Practicing smooth throttle application helps.

3) Starting in an open lot is wise, but I believe it's important to get the
student on the road as soon as it's fairly safe.  The more they do it with
no pressure of traffic, the harder it is to get over the fear of failure
when in traffic.  Also, driving on real roads is the only thing that teaches
you to do things fast.  Anyone can find an engagement point and let a clutch
out slowly, it can take 10 minutes in fact but that won't help them when the
light turns green.  A little baptism by fire forces them to learn important
lessons, retain them, and confront their fears.  Start slowly on a road
without much traffic though.

4) One day of instruction followed by sporadic attempts to drive a stick
only gets you so far.  It's like learning a language- you can study it in
school for years, and you only get so good.  But if you move to a foreign
country and have no choice, you can be fluent in months.  With a stickshift,
I practiced sporadically for a couple years on my friend's car in high
school and sucked.  When I got my own car in college, I was fine in 2 days.
I simply had no other choice.

5) Following up on the above, don't place too much importance on the outcome
of the first lesson.  It should be treated as an introduction to show you
what you are supposed to do.  Everyone I've taught obsesses about
smoothness.  They feel terrible because they can't shift or start smoothly,
and they think they never will.  But I see no point in teaching smoothness
from the start.  That only comes from practice and muscle memory.  It's
important to be encouraging and tell the student that they WILL get better!

6) Don't underestimate the student and don't get mad.  Many people I thought
would be hopeless actually were pretty good and vice versa.  Okay, I can't
hide it, I did try to teach my girlfriend how to drive a stick.  And really,
she was very good.  What I noticed was that when I get nervous and tense up,
I become a spaz, whereas when she gets nervous, she just backs away and
slows everything down.  So amazingly, she was very smooth with the clutch,
and could even save bad starts by making fine adjustments with the clutch.
Unfortunately, she just didn't like driving a stick, didn't see the
benefits, and refused to get enough seat time to overcome her fears.  So I
just let it go, and she still likes me:)

Peter