Car Control Clinic

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car Control Clinic
From: "the brain7" <the_brain7@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 23:14:17 -0700
Hi everyone,

I was in Marina on Saturday, at the BMW Car Control Clinic sponsored by the
Golden Gate Chapter of BMWCCA. The instructors were all volunteers and were
extremely helpful with tips, advice and general instruction on how to handle
the cars safely. It was a fun event where we got to run through three types of
exercises: skidpad, braking and slalom. We learned how to modulate the
throttle, "drift," how to brake in an ABS-equipped vehicle, and a whole mess
of stuff. I finally learned what an apex really is! I hope I can remember what
I learned at the next autox. I'll be sure to remember to turn traction control
OFF!!!

My fav. exercise was the slalom. I was surprised my little 4 banger could be
take so much thrashing. Towards the end of the event,  we were let loose on
the slalom (at least my group was). Too bad we didn't have some type of a
timer. I could've sworn I was pulling some excellent times...And yeh, I also
learned that I have soooooo much more to learn!

All in all, Gary Shannon and his group did a great job. I'm thinking of
attending the next one. Maybe this time I won't kill so many cones...A couple
highlights: an instructor-driven '01 M3 running the skidpad and slalom (one
word...suuuuuuweet!), a 2002 spinning out and losing lots of rubber on the
track, a bright yellow 96 M3 plowing through cones in the "braking"
exercises.

One of the students at the event took a couple pics and here they are. Too bad
he didnt catch me when I spun out... :-)

Crud!...forgot I can't send attachments. I'll get them online somehow and post
a link. Sorry.

-Arnold.