Re: Proof that cars can talk

To: "Loughmiller, Scott" <scott@radiate.com>
Subject: Re: Proof that cars can talk
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:28:00 -0700
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 03:33:39PM -0700, Loughmiller, Scott wrote:
> I'm not even competitive in novice yet, why would I want to try to compete
> with the really fast people?  Besides, John is the guy to be worried about.

Thanks for the compliment, but I had the advantage of a few pre-season
events at Marina.  Everyone else is getting faster as they get a few
events under their belts.  It seems to be a pretty evenly matched
field, which should make for some exciting competition.

> I do need to get new street tires for my car, the stock ones are OK, but I'd
> like to try some good ones.  Anyone have any suggestions for my '01 Miata?

The options I'm considering (and my assessment of them based on
conversations and reviews) are:

Toyo T1-S: The holy tire choice of Miata.net.  They're supposed to be
     excellent in the rain and excellent in the dry, are very light,
     but some people think that the sidewalls are a little soft.  Many
     people would place them on par with Bridgestone S-02 pole
     positions, but my guess is that they fall a bit short of that
     mark.  $130 or so from various vendors including tirenet.com.
Pirelli PZero: The classic exotic-car tire.  Great dry-pavement
     performance, but not so good at pumping water out of the way.  A
     little cheaper than the Toyos, $123 at Tire Rack
Yokohama A520: A good wet/dry performance tire, with a humming problem
     at freeway speed.  $99 from Tire Rack
Kumho ECSTA 712: Dry performance probably not quite as good as the
     A520, but they should be good in the rain due to the tread.  And
     only $77 at the Tire Rack!  I think Jim Ochi runs these on the
     street.  How are they, Jim?

An interesting option that's turned up recently is the PZero in the
195 width instead of 205.  Those cost the same as the Kumhos!  What do
people think?  Would 195 PZeros be better than 205 Kumho 712s or
Yokohama A520s?

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94