Re: Tire experiences

To: James Creasy <black94pgt@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Tire experiences
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:06:13 -0800
James Creasy wrote:

> it depends alot on what kind of car you have.  on my light car (2100lbs)
> kumhos have lasted TOO long... 125+ runs, 3000 street miles and 1 hr track
> time.  this is even with a lot of 300 ft-lb induced tire spin and lock ups
> on braking.  they have heat cycled into rocks now, far before they wear out.

You could try Formula V Traction Treatment to extend their
life. But you have to take them off the car for three days
to treat them.

> the 032R is a slighter harder compound than the kumhos and should last
> longer, but i believe is a fair bit less grippy than the kumhos.  (judging
> from the new elise's times last year).

The Elise was not wearing 032R's. Richard Issel tried
a set a few years ago and they were definitely lacking
in grip.

Personally, I think Hoosier Autocrossers are a good long-
lasting, learning tire but they don't work well on cars with
slow steering (like BMWs).

Rich Urschel