Re: Mixing tires

To: Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com, Dan USA <dandalen@usa.net>,
Subject: Re: Mixing tires
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:13:01 -0800
Dan,

Some more free advice>

For the most part, Kevin is giving good advice when suggesting you not mix
tires. His advice is particularly appropriate if you are really trying to
improve both your car's set-up and your own competitiveness, as many (most)
of us are. However, if you're trying to get by on low cost (or free) rubber
and you have some mis-matched sets, go for it. Just remember, unless you
have the same caliber tire of the correct size(s) on both ends, you learn
very little about setting up the car to be competent when running on new "R"
tires.

With mis-matched sets, generally, the end with tires having less effective
traction will not stick, so the car will probably either push or be too
loose. The condition may be manageable, depending on the car and your set-up
but, it won't help you "dial" the car for the point in time where you "pop"
for some new "R"s.

For a few years, when my competitive ride was Dwayne Komush's EP Ford
Escort,I ran all sorts of free, mix-and-match used tires on my '85 SS
Corvette outside the regular season. I had just as much fun, although I
wasn't as competitive as if I'd been on "good" tires.

        Don