Scheduling against Pro's and Tours Was: 2001 Schedule

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Scheduling against Pro's and Tours Was: 2001 Schedule
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:51:29 -0800 (PST)
You wrote:
-snip-
>         My point: Some gorillas are bigger than others. And National is
> bigger than we are. If it was up to me I'd run our GGF event on May 27. Not
> too many of our people will be running Pro Solo. However, in the past, we
> have always supported National's Pro Solo and Tour when they happen here.
>
>         What do you think?

I agree with most of what John wrote, I remember the 98 season and hating
having to go up to Sacramento.  I don't mind 1 or 2 sacto events and one
or two atwater events to balance things out, but 98 went a little too far.
We lost a lot of local participants that year.

As for scheduling opposite Pro's and Tour's... remember that a lot of your
key people _will_ be away at those events, and that means less qualified
people running the local events.  If that means less safety people, then
that's an important consideration.  I remember chairing an event at Oakland
in 99 (day 1 of a two day event) that was opposite the San Diego tour that
I wasn't able to attend.  There was nobody to cover registration (EJ stepped
in, but she ran 1st run group so had to get her car ready) and there was
only 1 person trained to do safety (Brian, as always) and nobody there that
knew how to set up the trailer (I think PeterA and Jim did it).  That was
a tough day!

In general, I don't see any reason to deliberately schedule against any
national event... but I'd rather take events when and where we can get
them than shorten the season.

BTW, it's time for my first plug for the ProSolo whenever and wherever it
may be.  Rookies don't be intimidated by the name "Pro".  I missed out on
my first pro because I thought it meant "not me".  In fact, when I did
finally go I had a fantastic time.  The competition is thrilling, even if
you're not in the real battle.  Even spectating is way more amusing than
at a normal autocross.  John, I know you don't like them, but they are a
lot of fun!!! :)

        --Darren