A safetty question

To: Bay Area Autocross <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: A safetty question
From: Greg Umbay <greg_umbay@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
--0-1087535076-972319695=:54201

I have a serious question regarding driver/worker safety.  I would like to
first say that I am not trying to bad mouth any person(s) or organization(s).
While working the course I noticed a driver who was steering the wheel with the
right hand and holding onto the door with the left hand.  I radioed in asking
someone to talk to that person.  (I am unaware if anyone went to talk to the
driver)  Later the same car/driver came around again using the same one handed
technique.  I used common sense and stayed away from that car/driver, putting
course work priority after safety.  After the run group I found that driver and
mentioned that 2 hands on the wheel was important for safety.  The driver
replied that the car's stock seat belts did not hold well and had to use one
hand to hold on to the car.  (I am trying not to be gender specific on
purpose.)  The driver's body size was small and did not fit into the car well.
I suggested to adjust the seats, which was done but still a one handed
technique was used.  I also suggested a 5 point harness.  The reply was "It's
not my car."

My question is where do we draw the line of safety?

We are all volunteers and we come out to have fun.  Should we or can we stop a
person from driving because of safety?  I understand that we can stop a car for
mechanical and or technical reasons.  But can we stop a driver based on the
fact that the driver cannot sit in a car properly, risking loosing control of
the car?

Again, I am not trying to bash or trash talk at all.

Street Touring -S

http://streettouring.homepage.com

---------------------------------
--0-1087535076-972319695=:54201

<P>I have a serious question regarding driver/worker safety.&nbsp; I would like
to first say that I am not trying to bad mouth any person(s) or
organization(s).&nbsp; While working the course I noticed a driver who was
steering the wheel with&nbsp;the right hand and holding onto the door with the
left hand.&nbsp; I radioed in&nbsp;asking someone&nbsp;to talk to that
person.&nbsp; (I am unaware&nbsp;if anyone went to talk to the driver)&nbsp;
Later the same car/driver came around again using the same one handed
technique.&nbsp; I used common sense and stayed away from that car/driver,
putting course work priority after safety.&nbsp; After the run group I found
that driver and mentioned that 2 hands on the wheel was important for
safety.&nbsp; The driver replied that the car's stock seat belts did not hold
well and had to use one hand to hold on to the car.&nbsp; (I am trying not to
be gender specific on purpose.)&nbsp; The driver's body size was small and did
not fit into the car well.&nbsp; I suggested to adjust the seats, which was
done but still a one handed technique was used.&nbsp; I also suggested a 5
point harness.&nbsp; The reply was "It's not my car."</P>
<P>My question is where do we draw the line of safety?</P>
<P>We are all volunteers and we come out to have fun.&nbsp; Should we or can we
stop a person from driving because of safety?&nbsp; I understand that we can
stop a car for mechanical and or technical reasons.&nbsp; But can we stop a
driver based on the fact that the driver cannot sit in a car properly, risking
loosing control of the car?</P>
<P>Again, I am not trying to bash or trash talk at all.&nbsp;
 Touring -S</P>
It's FREE.
--0-1087535076-972319695=:54201--