downed cone

To: "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: downed cone
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:45:07 -0400
When I replied to this I meant to send it to the entire list but managed to
include only Rich Urschel. Usually I do this sort of thing the other way.
<G>

Message text written by Rich Urschel

"Now if you want a rule controversy, read 7.9.2 which says if you
stop for a down or misplaced cone, you must proceed ***directly
off course***, and that if you complete the run, your time stands.

Rich"

That was modified several years ago, at least in the National Supps, to
allow for a car to proceed SLOWLY around the course after having stopped
for a red flag. The victim in the deal was Bill Martin of Ridgecrest, CA,
and SFR member who stopped his Lotus Europa for a downed pylon and after
traveling ***directly off course*** discovered his car had grown taller by
an inch or two.  <G> Seems a lot of rocks stuck to his hot race tires.
        And then he was expected to make a re-run just five cars later. He
really sweated to remove as many rocks as he could.  He was not a happy
camper.
        If the Supp has not made it into the main rule book, perhaps a
letter needs to be written. As the SEB is ignoring my letters, I suggest
somebody else should do it.

--John Kelly