Re: moving to california

To: mrc01@flash.net
Subject: Re: moving to california
From: Black94PGT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:39:01 EST

<< My company just hired a new employee who is moving out from Ohio.
 He has a car that is a 49-state model ( model year is late 80s or
 early 90s). If anyone knows what he can expect in terms of
 registration, or knows where I can find this information it would
 help him tremendously. TIA, >>

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/smogweb/smog/smoghome.asp

the old $300 smog impact fee has been repealed... so no worries there.

he will need to pass a smog check to register.  vehicles are not required to
pass higher standards than they were designed for when new.  i.e. 49 state
vehicle is not a prob.

he should get a "pre-smog" to make sure the car is not a "gross polluter"...
the smog equivalent of the Scarlet Letter.  once labeled you have to meet
strict and unpleasant requirements... and the car will forever be a "gross
polluter" no matter what you do to it.

the addy above has lots of good info.

-James Creasy
President, BAPOC www.klio.net/probe