Re: ProSolo attraction

To: rcbowlus@yahoo.com (Russ Bowlus)
Subject: Re: ProSolo attraction
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:04:37 -0800 (PST)
Didn't see anyone respond to this publicly, but I'd like for all the
rookies to hear the answers...

You wrote:
> I'd like to do a ProSolo.

They are fun, but a little intimidating.  Once you're in the heat of
the moment you don't worry about it.  I always thought the "Pro" part
meant "Not Me" but that's definitely not the case!

> But what's this about a license?

Only if you plan on doing 2 (or is it 3?) or more events in a year.
Which means if you're just doing our local Pro (still on, right?) you
don't need a license!

> And what about a mandatory decal/number package?
> What's wrong with my other numbers?

The mandatory package was for the 6 feature "Pro" classes last year
but I think they killed that rule for this year.  Only thing the normal
folks (club class?) have to deal with is basic readability and the
usual decent appearance.  Maybe some sponsor stickers, but they're
provided.  Oh, and the cool ProSolo windshield sticker which is a
pretty good deal for $2!!

> Typical questions that keep people away from ProSolo,
> I expect.
>
> Plus, there's, what, one per Region per year?  What if
> I can't make it?

We're supposed to be hosting one.  Then there's one in LA or San
Bernadino or something.  Then there's another up in Seattle during
Seattle Solo Week, which is a must do!!!  There may or may not be one
in Wendover, Utah or somewhere in Colorado....

> Might be fun to do a ProSolo style event at McClellan
> as a local/slush event...could help the attendance
> numbers the following year if there is less FUD (Fear
> Uncertainty Doubt) about how the event runs, etc.

The starting system lights and timers, and the dial-in equipment is
pretty expensive and the demand isn't there for our local region.
Once, twice or maybe three times a year is how often people want to
do Pro's, so it's not really worth spending the money on.

> Just providing the clueless rookie view,

I didn't go to the Pro my first year because I was intimidated, and
we didn't have an Atwater Pro my second year.  I can say that the Pro
we did do last year was by far one of the most fun events I've ever
done.

        --Darren

p.s. If you don't want to trash your car, and we get enough people
interested, we may be able to bring down Pat Polk to do F125 kart
rentals again!  Those of you who karted last year know how much fun
that is!!!