Re: [Miata] Miata autocross tire pressures?

To: pethier@isd.net
Subject: Re: [Miata] Miata autocross tire pressures?
From: philip ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 10:07:53 -0500
Thanks for all of your input on the tire pressure question.

I ran the car at our novice school, carrying a student on each run.
We did our first 2006 timed events this weekend, with me driving the
Miata on Saturday and having a (younger, more-talented) co-driver on
Sunday.  I wound up 6th of 18 in class both days.  I know who the
stunningly-fast folks are in the class, and I wanted to be the
fastest of the rest of us.  I managed that, so I'm feeling pretty
good about it.  Next event is on a smaller lot with much better
asphalt on the 4th of June.  Looking forward to it.

I settled on 36 PSI cold all around.  The tires are not rolling too
much.  The "hand pyrometer" seems to think they are warming fairly
evenly.  The car is handling very neutral, with oversteer provoked by
a lift, and not very much push at all under power.  I'm leaving it
alone.  The connection between the pedals and the steering wheel is
the real limitation on the car now.  The thing I love about Miata
cars is the wonderful balance.