RE: [evolution-disc.] JACircuit laser timing head help!

To: Dave Whitworth <dave@wcsllc.net>
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] JACircuit laser timing head help!
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:50:33 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Dave Whitworth wrote:
> I agreed with you on another forum, and now I'm going to help you....I
> must be having a bad day. :-):-)

Don't worry Dave, I won't tell anyone.  :-)

> Anyway, I've found that the cables have a short life.  We used to have
> the problems you describe, but since then started replacing cables every
> two seasons PERIOD and the issues stopped.  When I visit other regions
> to help them put on divisionals, I notice that the ones that have old
> cables have problems, the ones that have new don't.  I have trouble
> convincing most regions to throw out 1000's of feet of cable every two
> years, but it really makes for better events.
>
> Also, the connectors need to be replaced on the same schedule.

Good info.  Thanks!

When you say "connectors" do you mean the ones on the timing box & photo
heads as well?  On Sunday (when we had a problem/delay), we swapped to a
new cable from the box to the photohead without a change, then swapped the
photohead and all was well.  The photoheads obviously have a cable
w/connector on them too, but I've not looked at what it takes to change
them...

> We tried testing the cables, but short of a full break in the conductor,
> we could never get any reliable testing info from them.  They'd all have
> the resistance readings, but one would work and another wouldn't.

Hrm.  I guess that makes sense, but its not what we really wanted to
hear...

Guess its time to put that stuff on a schedule.  Have you investigated
other suppliers or brands/cables that might last a little longer?

Thanks again!

Mark