Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Way to finance our Solo2.....

To: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchelltx@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Way to finance our Solo2.....
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:53:28 -0600
Too provincial, Jay.

You are correct. Mike is too. To regard Solo as nothing but a sales tool
would be a huge mistake. To fail to appreciate its possibilities as one is
equally a mistake. I do not feel Mike was ignoring the competitive aspect, I
think he was simply addressing its added benefits in public awareness.

When we are competing, it is indeed a grassroots amateur competitive sport
and we participate with singleminded passion. But its facility to attract
non-SCCA to the club in a way that racing (also performance rally) cannot
because of their restrictions and road rally cannot because of its much
lower profile must also be exploited. To do so grows us.

It is not utterly independent. It is part of SCCA and must function as a
part -- a contributing, ultimately profitable part -- of the club. However,
defining "profit" is IMHO broader than simply how much money it generates in
sanction fees. It's overall value to the club in generating public awareness
is also part.

--Rocky Entriken