Re: WRX vs STi vs Evo...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: WRX vs STi vs Evo...
From: John Willemin <john@oblivion.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:14:48 -0700 (PDT)
> I have no first-hand knowledge of this, Daniel, but I've been TOLD by
> others who AutoX the WRX that it's extremely hard on clutches.  I know
> nothing, whatsoever, about the STi or Evo -- except that they sure are
> fun to watch!!!  8<{)

Hard on clutches? The clutch is not a problem on the WRX. It's an Exedy
that will hold a good amount more power than stock. I have
clutch-slip-launched (autox) my WRX many times. The problems I hear of,
are when people upgrade to a grabbier clutch and break their gearbox.

There are three real issues with the WRX - 1) it does not take kindly to
being driven in an un-smooth manner - don't drop the clutch and you'll be
fine, 2) the stock tires are useless for performance driving, 3) the ABS
on the older ones (pre 04) is a bit flaky (active NHTSA investigation).

For daily driving and occasional autox - I would get the STi personally.
The Evo is a good performance car, but the
interior in the STi is a lot nicer, it has an extra .5L which makes daily
driving a lot better, and all the important parts of the car
(engine/tranny) should last for a long time - the 6MT in the STi is an
awesome piece of technology. The '05 STi got some handling improvements
vs. the 04 as well.

If you were doing a lot of performance driving tho, the Evo MR or RS would
be very attractive as well.

john