Re: Pro Driver facts vs. perception

To: "Caroline Wright" <gofazt@netscape.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pro Driver facts vs. perception
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 23:14:34 -0500
From: "Caroline Wright" <gofazt@netscape.net>

>"I'm looking at that index time and I'd be embarrased if I can't beat that
on my second run."

> As soon as he said that, I knew he'd choke.  He would not improve his
time/score and lose the event.  I wanted to tell him, but I held my toungue.
Sure enough, he did not come close within .5 of the index, and he also
coned.  Oh well.

I didn't make it to Rev It Up in the Twin Cities, as I was at a local
combination autocross/hillclimb.  I saw a similar scenario there.  There was
the guy convinced that his newish expensive car would be the fastest though
the autocross and up the hill.  Most folks who had been around this
particular block before figured that it would be Lee Frisvold in the Opel
GT, but didn't burst his bubble.

When the results were released, Lee was FTD.  Mr. Confident was right in the
middle of the pack of 52 cars.

I had no preconceived notions of where I'd land, so I was pretty pleased to
wind up fourth.  :-)

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"TOOLS?  Hell, any fool can work with tools.  It takes a real mechanic to
work with this junk." -Orv Ethier, 1921-2004.  First Shot Naval Vets, Pearl
Harbor Survivor.