Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>, "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 06:10:02 -0600
First part, okay.

Last part, the flaw is in others spending the money on the "illegal mod" --
either that others are being made to spend what they should not have to, or
in the several getting sucked in and then upon discovery all getting bounced
en masse. Not a situation we'd want to create.

Creating, and then keeping current, such a database would be a mammoth job.

And yet, oddly enough, those people over in the racing side have done much
of that! The PCS (Production Car Specifications) lists for each eligible car
the engine type, bore & stroke, displacement, block material, head material
(sometimes part numbers), valve size, carb data, wheelbase, track, wheel
size, transmission gears (how many), standard and alternate brakes,
competition weight, and "notes" that include other allowances or things
specifically not allowed. Showroom Stock Specs list bore & stroke, valve
sizes, compression ratio, wheelbase, track, wheel size and material, stock
tire size, gear ratios, final drive, brakes, weight, and other items under
notes. The GT specs list engine type, bore & stroke, displacement, head
type, valves per cylinder, carb specs, wheelbase, track, wheel diameters
(width specified by class), weight and notes.

And note what they don't have. Even in the Stock specs. Things like length
of connecting rods, thickness of head, suspension mounting points,
adjustability ranges, etc. etc. etc. How much data is needed? How much work
to assemble compared to what is actually ever used?

It's a great fantasy that, if it ever came true, would solve a lot. But I
fear a fantasy nonetheless.

--Rocky