Pro Series M and M category Indexing

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Pro Series M and M category Indexing
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:45:13 EST
I did today get a reply from Tasha Goodale regarding the
indexing question for Prepared and Modified classes.
She indicated that Prepared would be indexed against prepared,
UNLESS there were less than 5 entries, in which case they would
then be indexed against the Modifieds.  (all entries using the
discrete index number for the individual class)

All Modified entries are indexed, whether there are enough in any
one class to make the minimum of five or not.

I really do find the idea to be quite troubling, for these reasons:

1.  At an event where there is a major gathering in one class, as in
      SanBerdoo for F125, one lone AM or DM could win the index,
      depending on the accuracy of the handicap numbers used, and
      course/surface variables (see number 3) I think that this is
      quite unfair to the highly subscribed class drivers.

2.  While this may encourage those drivers who have entered in a
      P or M category class (which has not shown high participation
      levels) to continue to do so, it does not provide incentive to
      raise the class entry number to attain "independence".  The
      benefit is all to the undersubscribed classes.  The risk is all
      to the classes which have a history of adequate participation.

3.  Karts have to be the most course-dependent vehicle in the game.
      At some events with 200+ entries, I have placed top 10 on an
      index or even won, while a week later against the same group
      I might struggle to finish above mid-pack.  Course design and
      surface were the only real variables, but they mean more to a
      kart than any other vehicle.

Take the upcoming Pro as an example: There are currently 5 Prepared
category entries from four classes, which will run indexed against each
other.  That certainly seems fair enough.  Straight bumping as done in
the past was not any kind of real attempt to create competition parity,
it was just a way to hit a minimum class size.  While not ideal, the use
of an index system has to be the best option in this case.

There are 18 entries in Modified.  16 of those are in one class!  If Steve
has come to grips with the AM Correlian Pod racer (ex-Engstrom), or the
course somehow favors the CRX DM entry, those drivers in F125 can be
on the wrong end of a hot poker.  Looking at the entries, the F125 list
looks like a "Who's Who" in the class.  Many have done extremely well
on indexes, in a kart, and BEFORE karts, in other classes.  With such a
large gathering, it would be unlikely that one of more of them was not
getting all the performance there was available for the class.  Yet a lone
indexed vehicle could do them ALL in, based only on the accuracy of the
index as it applies to the specific course layout and surface.

I have a recommendation:

Just as drivers are allowed to compete in two or more different classes
during a season, and accumulate points for both (Think Matthew Braun
in AS and SM2 for 2003), selecting only one for the Finale:

Why not let competitors in the Modified and Prepared categories do
the same?  If Benny Dement and his buds in EM can get a class of
5 together for at least 3 events, should not they be able to vie for an EM
season championship?  At locales where there are insufficient EM
entries to make a class, then drivers would have no options: Run in M1,
the class designation chosen for the indexed Modified class.

This does not seem to me to be all that complicated.  I think that a driver
should have the availability of running in what class he or she chooses,
if enough entries are present to make one with the regular Solo2
designations.

Over the course of a season, if I as a driver enter 4 events, and entry
levels
put me in M1 three times, and only once in F125, then my course is set.
But if I can make 6 events, half of which are filled for F125, why should M1
be the only option?

The idea of indexing all Prepared and Modified classes is way better than
bumping, but it fails one test: Is it the fairest way to treat ALL the
entries?
Not if a category includes one or more fully subscribed classes, it doesn't,
particularly if it happens often over the course of a season.  It then
becomes
a great gift to those attending in small numbers, and effectively penalizes
the fully subscribed class.

Alan Sheidler