Re: Fw: SEB-Update/Backdate in STS, STX

To: <Ghsharp@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: SEB-Update/Backdate in STS, STX
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:02:59 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <Ghsharp@aol.com>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 2:39 PM

> In a message dated 7/18/2003 2:46:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rocky@tri.net
> writes:
>
>            <snip>
> > On Stock -- Just because the newbie may line up alongside John Ames
doesn't
> > mean the rules have to allow the newbie to be outspent by megabucks to
do
> > so. IOW. Stock rules should remain closer to stock. Those Monroe
Sensi-Traks
> > or Sears Roadmasters, available to anyone at the corner parts store are
one
> > thing. The $800 remote-reservoir Penskes something else entirely. IOW,
if
> > Ames wants to be king of a Stock class, he should do so limited by very
> > minimal allowances allowed.
>
> Gotta disagree, Rocky.  Dennis' point was that the allowances we have now
> for Stock are about as "minimal" as you can get, if you're going to have
any
> allowances at all.  Having Stock be "as-delivered" isn't practical for
lots
> of
> previously-stated reasons.  Once the door is opened to even limited
> allowances, the question becomes "Where do we draw the line?"  In the
> case of shocks, the SEB and the membership have explored the issue of
> moving that line for several years, and no one has been able to come up
> with an enforceable rule that would allow *some* aftermarket shocks yet
> prohibit others beyond some established price point.

Well, I think I was less ranting about what should change than lamenting
what exists. Yes, I do recognize the difficulty of writing a rule allowing
some Gabriel aftermarket while not permitting some megabucks Penske product.
I could wish that, somehow, a thoughtful rulewriter could manage to phrase
it so Champcar technology was not needed to be competitive in a Stock class.

> In your example of John Ames (or any other top driver you might name),
> John's probably going to outrun the typical newbie by a large margin
> _regardless_of what the preparation rules are.

Oh, of course he is! which is what I meant by...

> > And, BTW, Mr. Ames is quite capable of doing just that! It is good,
(winning under any ruleset provided).\

But it is also true a serious competitor such as Ames will prepare to the
limit -- as anyone who pretends to be serious about the game should -- and
so it is the rulewriters' job to establish what that limit should be.

So when Ames, and Johnson and Strelnieks and Sipe and Molleker and Kotzian
and others of their ilk all show up at the same parking lot in the same
class, we have a helluva contest. And Ned Newbie maybe sees then that there
ARE solo gods out there and they are different from the rest of us. But when
it is only one of those pounding the newbie into the concrete like a nail,
they suspect other forces at work.

> but by far the
> biggest time difference is_the driver_.  Rocky, you and I, and anyone with
> few years of experience know this.  The problem is educating the newcomer
> how much of this sport is driving skill.
>
> GH

Yes, it is, GH. No argument there!

--Rocky