RE: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)

To: <Stand0nIt@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:37:03 -0700
My point is that if SCCA was really serious about having an entry-level
class, then Stock class would require real street tires and outlaw
"unobtanium" shocks.  While its true that ability counts as much as, if not
more than, the special tires and shocks, its also true that first
impressions are everything.  A newby does not know about, or see the
"ability" of the other drivers.  What he/she sees is that the front-runners
are using equipment that, in many cases, is unsuitable for regular street
use.  That's the kind of thing that leads new-comers to not come back after
their first experience. It may have only cost you $1200, but for a lot of
young folks, that's way too much money to pay to just "play" in a parking
lot.  Personally, I think that any class with "street" in its name should be
running real street tires (but thats another story).