Forwarded: Turbine Questions

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: Turbine Questions
From: <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:18:45 -0600
For some reason this was sent to me rather than autox@autox.team.net.
If your internet access is web-capable, check out

  http://www.team.net/posting.html

mjb.
----

     From: "erik" <erik@mpactmotorsports.com>
     Subject: Turbine Questions
     Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 06:48:54 -0700

This is my first post here, so "hi" to everyone.I'll share what I know from
my boat racing experience.  Tubines are becoming more and more common in
high performance powerboat applications.  Though not legal in any of the
racing classes, they make a great choice for the poker runner.  Generally
there are 2 options, the 600hp and 1200hp versions.  They will run on
diesel, and run forever, or on avgas or anything in between.  Power output
and propensity to explode vary with fuel choice.

Engines are generally helicopter engines that have reached their servicable
hours limit, 3000 hours I think. Best thing is, they weigh about 1/3 what a
big block checvy weighs for the small version and are the size of a large
Keg.   Do a search for Howard Arneson for more info on how the in engines
are mated to outdrives (mechanical).