Re: Vehicle Identification Proposal

To: PbPied@aol.com, rocky@tri.net, autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Vehicle Identification Proposal
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 16:50:49 -0500
>Installing a frame-attached seat belt would be all too easy in
>my shifter kart.  I think the council's rule requiring a roll-bar
>for all purpose built competition machines or open vehicles
>using non-DOT tires would be harder to meet.

I think some roll-over protection for karts would be a good thing.   One of
my friends broke his arm in a kart rollover at an SCCA kart school in Shakopee
Minnesota.

>That said, since the Met Council is NOT an SCCA region
>(even with the affiliation of the SCCA LOL region as a
>member club of the Council), I fail to see how your comment
>is in any way related to or contributary towards the discussion
>regarding car numbers at SCCA events, and rules governing
>them.

It was an aside, suggested by the mention of karts.  If you don't have karts,
you don't have trouble putting 8" numbers on karts.

>It is apparent that you are personally proud that the Council
>excludes karts.

Not proud.  Happy.  I think it was silly for SCCA to allow vehicles without
seatbelts.  I said so at the Topeka Nationals Town Meeting in 1996 when I was
a member of SCCA.

> How that relates to the topic being discussed
>is not.  This is an SCCA rules discussion, regarding vehicle
>identification for ALL SCCA classes.  That includes karts, for
>adults and for kids.

It is also a discussion about autocross numbers and their visibility.   The
kart thing was an aside.  Not all discussion threads are rigid.  This part is
morphing into a discussion about karts in autocross, and I have changed the
subject line to reflect that.

autox@autox.team.net is not an SCCA list.  It is an autocrossing list.   If
you don't like what I post on the list you have choices:

1. Post what you don't like about my statement and argue the point.  Looks like
you are doing that just fine.

2. Hit "delete".

3. Complain to the list owner, Mark Bradakis.

If you want to have karts allowed at Met Council events, you can go the Met
Council rules meeting and suggest it.  You can send a letter to the Rules Chair,
Rex Schultrich.  You can go to Met Council meetings the first Monday of the
month.  I don't run the Met Council.  My only official connection with the Met
Council these days is that I am in charge of the permanent-number list.

I do oppose beltless vehicles in autocrosses.  I don't expect everyone to agree
with me.  The majority of autocrossers in the Twin Cities area seem to agree,
as there has been no groundswell of support for the inclusion of karts in the
Met Council rulebook.

The problem facing the sport of autocross in the Twin Cities has been lack of
sites, not lack of karts.

Phil Ethier