re: vehicle ID proposal

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: vehicle ID proposal
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:49:38 -0400
--On Friday, April 25, 2003 4:14 PM -0400 Charles <golden1@britsys.net>
wrote:
> Being a designer, I am aware of the problems this proposal is addressing,
> but I would NOT want to see it pass unless there was some allowance for
> approval of non-complying markings that meet the "spirit" of the rule.

For many years we've had a perfectly adequate rule.  If everyone would just
follow the spirit of the rule, we wouldn't have to be more specific.

The fact of the matter is that even at Nationals, there are a LOT of really
bad numbers out there.  It's not that hard, and it's not that expensive,
but far too many people just don't give it the attention needed.  This is a
case of a few slackers ruining it for everyone.

I realize that some folks have put a lot of effort into their numbers and
class letters, and that others have had the same perfectly adequate numbers
for years.  Those folks, for the most part, are the ones complaining here,
and I can understand and appreciate that.

As a reminder, the likely source of a protest against illegal numbers would
be Timing & Scoring.  In most cases I can't see them bothering to fill out
paperwork for illegal but highly legible numbers.  On the other hand, T&S
for
years has threatened to throw paper against bad numbers, but the rule hasn't
been strongly worded.

The SEB would be happy to entertain other approaches.  If you've got one,
please send us a letter (the procedure is outlined right in the front of
the rulebook, before the table of contents).  Otherwise, unfortunately, we
may have to make a few people spend a very small amount of time, effort,
and money unnecessarily in the name of better event efficiency.

Mark