RE: S2000 ring & pinion ratio question

To: "Bradley H. Lamont" <lamont@mailhost.org>
Subject: RE: S2000 ring & pinion ratio question
From: "Mike Clements" <mikec@actional.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:59:47 -0700
I didn't know it had a primary reduction (sort of like a motorcycle).
But I don't think that affects the outcome.

Problem is, the stock gearing still is way too tall: 80+ MPH in 2nd gear
and hard to get out of the hole from a standing start. The car feels
like it wants more gear and with a 9000 RPM redline there's no reason to
fear the gear.

I figure a 16% shorter (numericall bigger) ratio is about optimal: 16%
more acceleration in every gear, easier to get out of the hole, yet
still able to hit 65 or so in 2nd. This is probably closer to the ratio
the engineers originally intended before they had to meet EPA and CAFE
regulations.

Regards,