RE: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation
From: "Paul Zahornasky" <p.zahornasky@att.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 11:37:36 -0500
"Mike V Taylor (Comcast)" <mikevtaylor@comcast.net> wrote:
> You know, it seems like a few people use cordless drives to install their
> lug nuts. Can i ask what the real advantage is over a good, old fashioned,
> cheap speed wrench? I just pull out my 4 pt. lug wrench and spin on the
lug
> nuts just as fast as you guys do. I bet I pull them off in about the same
> time too. Am I missing something?

When I was changing tires every event, I used a cordless impact.  Generally,
my tire changes probably were not any faster than the average 4 way.  Then
again, I usually wasn't in any hurry and didn't go full speed changing
tires.  Throw in an impending (or current) downpour, and the powered people
were finished much faster.  It's all about RPM's.  Even a cheap cordless
will put out over 500 RPM, far more than what you can do with a speed
wrench.  Get a good one, and you don't even have to break the lugs loose
before jacking the car up.

Paul Zahornasky
91 FM