Re: Suggestions on a tow vehicle ?

To: Sup4speed@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Suggestions on a tow vehicle ?
From: Topper Jones <gbrt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 06:02:44 -0800 (PST)
I faced that problem back in July and was leaning towards
the Chevy Avalanche. Very comfortable with plenty of power,
huge trunk like area, and odd looks. The one thing I didn't
like was the poor vision out of the rear. Just for giggles
I test drove a Chevy Silverado 1500 with the QuadraSteer
option. I was surprised to find that I liked it. When my
wife drove both she said she had to have the truck with the
QuadraSteer. In 5 months we've put almost 17,000 miles on
it using it as our family "car" and tow vehicle and still
love it. The truck is very easy to park and is great around
town.

I pulled an open trailer with a Swift SE-3 on it from north
of Atlanta to Foley, AL. and was trilled that the law
didn't clock me. The 4 wheel steering greatly reduces
trailer sway and makes towing a breeze. It also makes
cornering with a trailer much easier. Pulling the car in a
20' enclosed trailer I'm getting 13 mpg on the back roads
with the 5.3 motor and 17 to 18 without towing. I haven't
crossed any big hills yet with the enclosed trailer but I
don't see them as a major problem.

The GMC version is available with the 6.0 if you think the
5.3 isn't big enough but it will cost several thousand more
than the Chevy. You owe it to yourself to at least drive a
QuadraSteer.

Topper Jones