re: SM question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: SM question
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:29:20 -0400
<zastava@internetcds.com> wrote:

> I have a couple questions about Street Mod.  These
> are pretty basic mod questions, I'm just trying to
> decide what path to take...

Note that by far the best place for SM questions is the Street Modified
Mailing list - see http://streetmodified.org for more info

> Question:  I have a hot rod Yugo

Did you just use "hot rod" and "Yugo" in the same sentence? ;)

> that used to run in
> DSP then OSP, after installing the X1/9 1,500cc
> engine.  The Yugo, which was developed with Fiat,
> and based heavily on the 128 series, was originally
> equipped with a 1,100 or 1,300cc version of the
> venerable SOHC Fiat engine, which the 1,500cc
> version is a variant of.  Does the Yugo/Fiat marriage
> fall under the "joint venture between manufactures"
> (I think so)?

Whenever you come across something like this, that seems like it is allowed
and relies upon intimate knowledge of a given car (that may not be widely
shared) the best thing to do is prepare documentation that makes your case
as best you can, and keep it with you so that you can show anyone who has
questions. If you figure you can make a strong enough case to convince a
protest comittee, then you should be good to go.

More generally, if you can show that your Yugo was availible with a Fiat
engine in it from the factory, then any Fiat motor is allowed IN THAT
MODEL, not all Yugos.

Assuming that you can show that a Fiat engine is a legal swap, the actual
Fiat used as the donor car is not an issue.

As an example, my Talon was availible with either a Mitsubishi or a
Chrysler engine. As such, a Chrysler 5.0l V8 is a legal swap - assuming I
could get it to fit. You cannot, however, swap a Mitsubishi engine into a
Neon, because no Neon was factory-availible with a Mitsubishi motor.

DG