RE: Appeal issues discussion

To: <lrmetz@insightbb.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Appeal issues discussion
From: "J. Brett Howell" <jbrett@pebblemotorsports.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:21:48 -0400
The suggestion of compliance checks has been made, in fact implored by
several competitors in your class, but the problem is that most people
not running in the class have little if any knowledge of the rules
constraining the class, and are therefore unsure of what to check. As a
result items such as rollbar height are checked in tech, a dimension of
relatively little performance effect, while items like track, rotary
timing and exhaust length are not being checked anywhere. In the long
run people get lazy or sloppy about keeping items like this in check,
and new people to the class see this lack of compliance and assume it is
the status quo or generally acceptable. In a formula class it is
imperative that the constraints applied to the dimensions of the car and
motor be enforced, and the only way the SCCA provides for the
competitors in a solo class to ensure compliance is to protest each
other, and unfortunately this almost always results in hurt feelings.

J. Brett Howell
www.PebbleMotorSports.com <http://www.pebblemotorsports.com/>