Re: Wireless autocross timing equipment?

To: Mark Stanley <mstanley@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Wireless autocross timing equipment?
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 15:11:08 -0500
No recommendation, Mark, but I would offer a caution.  Since wireless
systems use RF (radio frequencies) to transmit information, watch out
for interference.

The 27 Mhz range is used for CB and can be quite congested.

The 49 Mhz range isn't used as much now as it was 5 or 6 years ago.  It
was widely used for cheap walkie talkies but its use has greatly
diminished since the inception of FRS (Family Radio Service).  However,
if your site is near a residential area, you could still get a lot of
interference from wireless baby monitors and things of that nature.

FRS radios operate in the 460 Mhz range

If you find a system that interests you, I would suggest that you find
out what frequency it operates on.  Then find somebody in your club or
community who has a hand-held scanner that will receive that frequency.
Take that scanner to your site on a typical Sunday and do a search scan
on either side of the frequency you're going to be using.  If it turns
up clean, then you can move forward with buying the system.

Just a little friendly advice from an old radio guy

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman