Re: Formular Junior Rules? (in SoCal)

To: rocky@tri.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Formular Junior Rules? (in SoCal)
From: "Jeff Cashmore" <cashmo@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:52:44
>"Per Howard" -- he accepts the definitions you are using for a Regional
>event (which is all I am concerned with at the moment) so presumably we
>could use them too?

Yes, per Howard refers to a couple of emails I've received from him asking
for clarifications.

>Spec FJ -- Some kind of restrictor plate is available, and is used in some
>applications, but as a basic rule you are just not bothering with it (but
>in your own kid's kart, since one happens to be there, you are not
>bothering to remove it)?

Correct.  The Briggs classes use different size/color restrictor plates
(purple, gold, etc.).  The 2 cycle 100 cc Yamaha kt100's are typically
restricted by a big plastic air box with certain sized inlet holes and the
exhaust required for the different classes.

>FJ -- you are not so much concerned with the specs for the various karts,
>but rather that the entrant can satisfy you a kart they bring has been
>designated for use by WKA/IKF as suitable for drivers 8-15 years old.

Yes, I'm guessing Howard didn't want to rewrite Kart specs.
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/kart.html#Kart%20Eligibility says
"Engine eligibility limits will be consistent with the WKA standards for
engine size, type, and modification for the driver's age."  The thing is you
have to have a WKA rule book to show what class you fit in.  At a minimum
copy the applicable page from someone elses book.  The WKA book is available
at http://www.worldkarting.com/

>"Cadet karts" -- that is a class or category of competition for 5-7 year
>olds, not a spec for a kart?

That's what my local track calls the karts for 5-7 yr olds.  They're smaller
and use a 50cc Comer engine.  I've never heard the term cadet used with 8-15
yr olds.

Hope that helps,
Jeff