Forwarded: Re: New V700's

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: Re: New V700's
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:54:41 -0700 (MST)
For some reason this was sent to me rather than autox@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     From: billkim@texas.net
     Subject: Re: New V700's
     Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:40:23 US/Central

Here are my impression of the new V700's.

Car: ES 1986 944
Prep: Bilstein shocks, new bushings all around, alignment, Turbo front sway bar
Tire size: 225/45/15

I've put about 35 runs on them including 10 runs in the wet.  In terms of
wear, they are down to about 3-4/32".  So, if we count the wet runs as half of
normal wear, they are half worn at about 30 runs.  In looking at how they are
wearing, I don't expect any more than 60 total runs.  FWIW, I used to get 80
runs on road race compound Hoosiers on my 968.  I'm not particularly impressed
with the wear.

Pros:  A bit lighter than Victorracers.  A bit better turn-in.
Cons:  The major problem with the new tires is they take a long time to heat
up.  It seems to take atleast 1 run to get enough heat for the tires to
stick.  My experience has been that Hoosiers were good after a few corners and
the Victorracers were good from the start.  The heat up time alone is enough
of a problem for me to not run the tires any more.  They also are not
particularly predictable when sliding. It could be just my car setup, but the
tires seem to go from rib to rib under cornering(I can see this by the tire
wear pattern) and could be contributing to the non-linear feel.  I did drive a
Boxster with both tires and came to the same conclusion.  They are also not
very fast when at full tread.  As I drive on the tires more and more, I like
them less and less.  Another autocrosser who has tried them feels the same way.

My tire plan is now to use Hoosiers for big event and use full treaded
victorracers for the rain.

YMMV, IMHO, etc.

Bill Kim
ES 1986 Porsche 944