NJ inspection PASSED. Lessons:

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: NJ inspection PASSED. Lessons:
From: Yuri Klepach <civicr1992@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:06:29 -0800 (PST)
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for contributing their experience &
advice to my problem.  My car FINALLY passed the NJ safety inspection after
being rejected 3 times.

Here's the info: 1992 Civic 4dr w/B18B1 transplant ('95 Acura Integra
non-VTEC), 4-1 DC Sports headers, 2.5" SS mandlell bent exhaust & new cat (14K
miles), etc.  Engine has around 100K miles & the chassis has over 172K.

1st inspection:

7         NOx 1990 (limit 1372)

7         HC- 71 (limit 173)

7         CO%- 0.56 (limit 0.97)

Fuel pressure- 33psi (unmodified).  Failed due to the NOX, not-DOT approved
headlights (projector style) & not-DOT approved turn signals, too loud exhaust
& too loud horn (air horns).

2nd inspection:

7         NOx- 1429 (limit 1372)

7         HC- 70 (limit 173)

7         CO%- 0.50 (limit 0.97)

Fuel pressure- 38psi (B&M Command Flo pressure regulator + B&M Fuel pressure
gauge), headers wrap, retarded the ignition a few degrees & dumped a can of
"Emissions Pass" bottle into my tank.   Swapped the headlights & turn signals
for stockers, disconnected the air horns.

3rd inspection:

7         NOx- 1104 limit (1372)

7         HC- 54 (limit 173)

7         CO%- 0.46 (limit 0.97)

Fuel pressure- 45psi & retarded the ignition to the limit.  I passes the
emissions but they failed me for slippery pedals (no, they are not aluminum
drilled pedals, they are aluminum w/plastic incerts).  So, I parked the car,
took out the pedals & went back in line.  30 minutes later I had the sticker on
my car...  Whew!

So, the lesson to be learned: they don't like anything flashy on the car!  Keep
the exhaust as quiet as possible, take everything off of the windshield (radar
detectors, etc), disconnect the air horns, keep/swap-in stock headlights/turn
signals, etc.

I hope this will help other people to avoid the missery I've been put through.

Once again, thank you all for valuable advices!

Best regards,

Yuri Klepach
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail.