Modified Stock shocks

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Modified Stock shocks
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:08:43 -0500
I too have heard a first hand account of modified stock shocks being used in
Showroom Stock racing.

This was back in the 1970's when the hot car was the Opel 1900.  A
Pittsburgh guy running one, was visited by a guy (allegedly from GM) who
gave him a box with a drill bit, a template, a bottle of viscosity improver
and a can of paint matching the OEM Delco color.

The template showed where to drill. The viscosity improver went into the
shock oil. The shock was then welded shut and the paint would hide the
evidence of tampering.

I was told that the shock acted normally in the pits, but after one or two
laps they were like concrete.

Larry Steckel