Fun New Years Day

To: old TVR list <TVR_pre1980@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Fun New Years Day
From: Bill Sanford <tvrdude@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 21:42:09 -0800
Hey all,
 Had a fun New Years out here in Southern Cal.
Went to an annual car bash/drive/picnic/blast thru the
hills type event. In the past Big old Bentleys, a Delahaye,
teens and twenties Lancias, etc. all show up. Unique and
driveable are the key. Anyway Jay Leno has been a few times, Phil Hill
too.
 Well, someday I hope to get up a small video of me drag racing
Phil Hill down the Pacific Coast Highway in my TVR Tuscan.(YES,
that Phil Hill) He was in a borrowed Roush Mustang, he may have let
me win, but he did say his wife made him "get out of it". :-)
The interesting part was when I pulled up next to him at the light,
I didn't know it was him till I looked over and we talked to him.
My girlfriend was filming at the time and got 7-8 secs of the race.

 Later, I talked to him at the show/picnic and then ended up helping
him work on a guys 54' Jag XK120 with 48,000 miles on it. It didn't
have full throttle, so Phil was trying to fix it. I grabbed my toolbox
and most everyone had moved to the last stop by the time we finished.
Near the end my Girlfriend asked us with our heads under they bonnet,
"had
the car broken in the parking lot?, you know, if it ain't broke-don't
fix it"!
 Phil, with a slight pause and without missing a beat answered-
"Anything
less than FULL throttle, IS Broken!!"

  Now I know why he was a World Champion.

 Plus, I found out later that it was Phil that pointed out the problem
to the owner while looking under the bonnet, till then he didn't know
he had a problem.

 Off to great year!!!
Bill Sanford