Re: Spectators, TV, and such

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Spectators, TV, and such
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:02:25 -0800
On Wednesday, January 2, 2002, at 07:53 AM, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
wrote:
> With a bare minimum of promotion, I'd bet we could pull an easy 1000
> spectators to the average ProSolo, and if the facilities to support them
> were at all halfway decent, I bet we could retain half of them.

Depends on where the event is held. Looking at our west coast Pros only
Tustin would stand a chance of bringing in 1000 spectators. In Atwater
that would be 5% of the city and in Wendover it would be just about
every person in the whole town.

IMHO having spectators is not a bad idea but I don't know how well it
will work as a one-time-only sort of thing. To work best you'd need
monthly, or better yet weekly, Pros held in some location halfway close
to a city with at least a couple hundred thousand population where
people know what the event is, where it is and when it is so they can
just drop in if they so choose.

Still I think the idea is worth pursuing. Perhaps National should pick
some big, most likely east coast Pro near a major population center, set
up a few grandstands, hire a professional announcer ("Let's get ready to
Solo!"), put out a few radio ads and see if anyone comes.

- Alan Dahl