Re: Course design safety - formerly Re: autox insurance

To: Bruce Wentzel <greendotracing@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Course design safety - formerly Re: autox insurance
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 18:47:06 -0600
The last time we had such an incident, Dot - and this was several years
ago - I learned a very important lesson about the SCCA insurance policy
as it applied at the time.  I must say that I don't know for sure
whether anything has changed since then.

However, at that time, we had a "disappearing" deductible.  What that
means is that any damage costing less than $250 to repair was entirely
the responsibility of the club that caused the damage.  However, if the
damage was more than $250, the SCCA insurance picked up the whole tab.
We stuffed a Vette through two chain link fences and into a third.  The
owner of the car had to pay for the cost of repairing IT but the SCCA
insurance paid for the total cost of repairing the fences.  Not all
clubs can afford the cost of repairing such damage themselves, even
though they might like to do so for PR purposes.  So, sometimes, we have
to rely on our insurance.

This might be something to run past Pete Lyon to see if anything has
changed since then.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman