Re: Start Design

To: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>,
Subject: Re: Start Design
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:18:16 -0600
> I don't think we're talking about the same thing.  I don't disagree that a
> turn immediately before the lights needs to be taken as aggressively as
> possible.  However, that doesn't necessarily require leaving the line as
> hard as possible.  Its simply a function of the course design.
>
> KeS

I recall Nationals North Course 1998, had a turn of more than 90 degrees
before the lights. Most people were charging off the start and doing that
first turn as if the clock were already running. Several took the apex cone.
Dumb!

I still started that one fairly aggressively, but mentally moved my apex
about 10 feet away from the cone. Not how I'd have done the turn if the
clock were running, but it wasn't. So I not only made sure I would not take
that cone, I also gave myself another 10 feet or so of approach to reach the
lights. That meant I went through the lights at a higher speed and thus
arrived at the first turn AFTER the lights sooner.

I also grabbed a broom and swept that area before my heat, because of all
the marbles where I wanted to be.

--Rocky