Re: autox insurance

To: David Cramer <dcramer@translationtech.com>,
Subject: Re: autox insurance
From: Andrew Schmiechen <aschmiechen@discovercolor.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:00:54 -0600
David:

Almost all vehicle insurance carriers will cover a parking lot autocross as
it is not considered racing.  Autocross is generally referred to as a
driving skills competition.  No where in the Solo rules will you see the
term racing used.  I personally know that Allstate covers you and your car,
and I've had competitors who've been covered by American Family as well.

With that said, though, the most important thing to do is read your policy
limitations.  For instance, I believe Progressive's policy states that you
are not covered in ANY competitive event.  If the policy doesn't state it in
the limitations, then the insurance company legally has to cover you.

Of course, after they cover your claim, they do have the option to drop you
as well.

Also, don't be afraid to ask your agent about it.  They can best explain
your policy to you.  If you're afraid the agent will increase your rates
just for talking to them, call the agent and ask this:  "My friend asked me
to crew for him at an autocross this past weekend.  I had a lot of fun and
would like to get involved myself.  Can you tell me if my policy covers this
type of event or if participating in these events would raise my rates?"

>From talking with people at Allstate, my carrier, I've been told that my
vehicle is covered during parking lot autocross, on track lapping days and
drivers education events.

-A.