RE: suspected illegalities

To: "Frank Greensmith" <frankgreensmith@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: suspected illegalities
From: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 10:15:14 -0500
Frank,

You started at the right place by buying a rule book.  Much of your question
can be answered there.  Read section 8 beginning on page 75.  You will find
the entire process there.  However, I should point out that, much like a
civil court case, filing a protest should be your LAST resort, not the
first.

While it is not documented in the rule book, I have always thought that
before filing a protest, a competitor should; 1) discuss the issue with the
competitor in a non-accusatory manner.  If a satisfactory resolution cannot
be made then proceed to step  two.  2) Research the rule and modification in
question, seek input from more experienced competitors or request a
clarification from the SEB or the SCCA Solo Dept.  Then re-visit the issue
with your competitor and present the information you have compiled.  If
there is still no satisfactory resolution, then proceed to step three.  3)
Decide if a protest is warranted.  At the local/regional level, protests are
rare for two reasons.  First; driving ability is a much greater factor than
car preparation.  So rather than worry about what he/she did to their car,
just go out-drive them.  Second; the local/regional level is more about
having fun driving your car than the little piece of wood you get as a
trophy.  As you go up the levels of competition to Divisional and National
events, there is a greater emphasis on competition and more of an
expectation that the competitor will prepare his car legally.  I would think
it would have to be a pretty blatant infraction (with significant
performance potential) and have direct influence on the regional class
championship before a protest would be warranted at the regional level.

Finally, you noted that you thought the mod was illegal and your competitor
said he thought it was.  Certainly, the rules are something upon which
reasonable people can disagree.  So do not assume that a competitor you have
a difference of opinion with is a cheater.  He may be just as sure he is
legal.  It is in such instances that a protest may be the only way to force
a ruling that clarifies a vague rule.

As Jay Mitchell noted, I am a member of the Tennessee Valley Region and the
Twickenham Auto Club and live in the Huntsville area.  I will be glad to
discuss the matter with you directly if you like.

Steve Hoelscher
#27 DSP