Re: U/B ruleB

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Subject: Re: U/B ruleB
From: Iain Mannix <mannix@rmsolo.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:56:33 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Linnhoff, Eric wrote:

> Well, since the Nats are over I have a lot of spare time on my hands.  ;^)
>
> Since y'all didn't quite agree with me on the light weight fastener issue
> thread how about we try a few that are just a little bit more vague?
>
> How do you all interpret the SP update/backdate rule regarding such items as
> interior consoles and door panels?  Can one take a lighter console from an
> earlier car and install it in a later year car to save weight?

Absolutely the point, IMHO.  Rabbits lend themselves well to
weight reduction in SP; if a lighter part was available from
another legal Rabbit(domestically available, etc etc etc), and
it fit, we used it.  Same deal with the Scirocco - they're
mobile Erector sets.

Of course, I often wondered if I could backdate a Rabbit(all) Pickup's
backseat into my GTI;).  Doubt that'd fly.  Rear bumper, though?
Rabbit pickups were available sans bumper, so....

Dunno.  It is easy to think of questionable implementations, but
as a rule, ud/bd was a great way to get the FSP cars down to
a reasonable weight without buying a 77 - the 77 Rabbits were
reputed to be the lightest; we could not find significant
differences, so we took full advantage of the ud/bd thing, got
my 84 GTI within 50-60 pounds of a stripper 77; I still could
have shaved 5-10 in the backseat, the 84 dashboard is an
anchor, it had a sunroof, etc etc etc.

> The way I read rule 14.1.C (quoted below) one can take the best individual
> parts from any car listed together on the same line and build  the lightest
> possible car, right?

Sure!

I have no idea on the reclining thing, but if it were me in ST, I'd
take the seat of my choice, chop it & make a hinged bracket to
bolt it back together.

Then I'd cross my fingers;).  Kinda pushing it, but if "fully
upholstered" (read: seatcover from Walmart;) and reclining,
well, that's what the book says, right?  Might not be the
intent, but I agree - if someone wants to make backseat
passengers climb through the hatch, well, hey, why not.

Iain Mannix
EP 17/formerly FSP 99