RE: Hoosier Bias Ply - Negative Camber?

To: <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hoosier Bias Ply - Negative Camber?
From: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:02:50 -0700
If I were going to speculate here (which I am), I'd say that a bias ply
tire is more willing to stretch the sidewall on the inside of a corner;
that is, that it will let the entire tread stay on the ground even as
the sidewall rolls under a bit.  A radial, and especially a stiff
sidewall radial like kumhos or hoosiers, will roll to the outside, thus
lifting up the tread in the inside of each tire, due to that nice stiff
sidewall.

It's just a hypothesis.  If true, my next thought would be that the best
of both worlds might be unidirectional, side-specific tires where the
outside wall is stiff but the inside wall is fairly pliable.

But I guess if we're talking small production, autocross specific tires,
manufacturers could just produce tires with an outer diameter that's
larger than the inner, this giving artificial negative camber far
surpassing factory alignment ability... which would be totally legal in
the stock classes.

Cheers
-b