Re: Course Safety

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Subject: Re: Course Safety
From: "Dr. Stuart Strickland" <stuart@strickland.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 07:54:10 +0200
I'd say there was more than a lot of luck involved in no one getting hurt.  The
grass certainly didn't help matters but the car was clearly out of control at
least a couple of gates before it left the course.  I expect if it'd gotten this
far out in the hands of a more experienced driver s/he'd had ditched it in the
infield away from the spectators.

But, at the risk of drawing flames and recognizing that the designers were
limited by the asphalt at their disposal, I do have to say that this is what you
get when you design a course as a pair of high-speed slaloms separated by a
single hairpin.  Novices -- and some others -- will think they can get through
by mashing the accelerator, even after the run is lost.

Stuart