Re: Neon Autocross Maintenance.

Subject: Re: Neon Autocross Maintenance.
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:03:01 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Gerald Chen wrote:
> Now that it's the off season, I was wondering what sort of parts need to
> be replaced on a regularly autocrossed 1995 Neon Sport Coupe (non-ACR).  I
> usually run about a dozen events a year.  Are there any parts that are
> prone to failure beyond the normal wear and tear items?  Everything is
> still pretty well original parts (except for replaced motor mounts, plugs,
> filters, shocks, etc.)

You might check the bracket the top of the bobble strut mounted too.  On
my '98 that was a rubber thing that would tear itself up.  Best way is to
unbolt it to check it, but you can also just grab the bobble strut housing
and see if you're able to move it up and down.

Probably also oughta check the spindles/wheel hubs for cracks.

Chances are the suspension bushings are starting to wear pretty well as
well.  Perhaps replace them (never done this, looks like a PITA).

You don't mention plug wires in your consumables list.  Change those if
you haven't already.  Ditto fuel filters, etc.

Probably also getting near time (or maybe past it?) to replace the timing
belt.  Check that the tensioner is still working well when you do that.

Can't think of much else.  I've currently gotta suspension/vibration clunk
in my '95 that I'm gonna have to track down pretty soon... :-/

Mark