Daily Driving and AutoX

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Daily Driving and AutoX
From: LarryB <webdoc@portone.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 09:36:14 -0500
A recent event made me realize how valuable the skills we learn in
autocrossing can be in our daily driving.  I was on vacation in Aruba and a
car passed me on a uphill on a 2 lane road.  I told my wife there is no way
he could see far enough ahead.  Just as I said that a car came over the
crest in the other direction.

The passing car did not have the speed (or brains) to pull in cleanly
forcing the oncoming car to go off the road. The oncoming car lost control
on the shoulder and crossed over the line. Since I somewhat expected this,
I was watching him closely. Since he almost was past us, I tried to
accelerate to clear him (my rental was a dog!) but he nailed us in the left
rear HARD, continued to spin, missed the pickup behind me and hit the car
behind him.

The car that hit us and the one he hit both landed up hood first in a
ditch.  I was able to keep my car in the lane with a few quick corrections
and safely pull off the road under complete control.  Thankfully no one was
hurt.  The fact I was able to maintain control still amazes me since the
rental had no power steering , high mileage and a VERY loose suspension
with almost non-existent shocks.

I really think all those years of having fun autocrossing had a real value.
Had I not accelerated (for what little power was there) he would have hit
me on the drivers door.

The Aruba Police and Dollar Rentacar were both great in handling the
situation. Dollar delivered another (actually better) car the next day and
told me that the insurance will take care of the damages.

Keep telling any doubter that not only is autocross fun, it may save your life!

Larry Boardman
98 Camaro F Stock