Re: Insurance Fraud? I don't think so...

To: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Insurance Fraud? I don't think so...
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:42:45 -0400
jac73@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> You provided me with an example of exactly what I'm talking about --
> claiming an on-track incident as an on-road incident.  If you're honest
> about it being on a track, there's no fraud involved, I agree.  At the same
> time, I'd expect your insurance company will very likely reconsider its
> decision to offer you coverage, be it a PCA DE or the equivalents from
> BMWCCA, NCCC, etc.  You pays your money and you takes your chances.  Odds
> are that they'll cover it... once.  And then you'll be shopping for a new
> insurance company as they drop you like a piece of freshly-cast steel, or
> at least raise your rates somewhere to the far side of your mortgage
> payment and car payment combined.

I guess you misunderstood my statement. I said nothing of the sort. I
said that with many insurance companies having a collision at a PCA DE
was the same as having a collision on the street. In other words, you
are covered.

Insurors react differently to collision claims. Some raise your rates.
Some put a rider on your policy that excludes all future track events.
But some don't. I really see no problem with this. It is really what
makes PCA DEs possible. If the 993TT or 996 crowd was not insured they
would not come out. The same thing goes for the 914-944 crowd to some
extent too. Most people drive their street car. The system works.
Thousands of people are much better drivers as a result.

Where it gets really really grey is when you start time trialing. Then
it becomes a speed event instead of a driver education event. Those are
definitely not covered by most insurors.

Paul Foster