Re: Why I run Stock

To: Ajstratton@aol.com
Subject: Re: Why I run Stock
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:03:12 -0400
Ajstratton@aol.com wrote:
> I did look at C-Mod midway through this year... I must have a
> competitive ride.  Competitive S2000 and FF1600 cannot be had for the
> price of your typical stock cars.

Eh?  You can have one of the top Solo II CM cars with a pedigree for
$15K.  You can have a car with a good chance of winning for $12K.
You can have a strong car for $8K which needs work (rebuilt motor,
suspension tuning).  I'm just talking National-level cars here.  You
can have a fun nationals mid-pack CM car for $6500.

> Seen the price of a new FF/S2 motor?

Something like $3K to $4K.  But cars typically come with them; you
don't need to buy a complete motor unless the block is cracked, the
head is warped, and the crank is dead.

> How about a collection of gearsets?

You don't need a collection.  You need an integral-shaft first ($350)
and a standard second ($120).  The car will probably come with a
suitable third and fourth, but if not, they're $120 new or a lot less
used.  And if the car was already an autocrosser, it comes with these
gears.

> Their shocks are no bargain either.

Same as any other car, in any category, with the exception of a
Formula 500 or F125 (which don't have shocks).

Mark