Re: Coil Over Spring Rates

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coil Over Spring Rates
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:44:43 -0400
Scott Meyers wrote (in part):

<<<How would the 166# current rate translate into coil-over terms? Since
it
appears that the spring is around the shock and strut that it is a
one-to-one ratio, and a true 166#? Or is there a leverage working there?

The "coil-over guy" said that to get a similar rate I would have to go
to something around 300#!>>>

AFAIK, a spring is a spring is a spring. Put it in a press and it takes
x lbs of force to compress it. 166 lbs sounds like it is very close to
the stock spring rate. I run 450 lb front springs on my 3000 lb 944
Turbo on the street and it is only a hassle when the pavement is very
broken, or made of bricks or cobblestones. I think the  "coil-over guy"
was trying to convince you that you should be running at least 300 lb
springs if you are going to all the hassle of upgrading to coilovers.
Otherwise, what is the purpose?

Paul Foster