Re: Illegal tire warm ups?? According to what rules.....

To: "Sam & Greg Scharnberg" <samandgreg@uswest.net>, <kcautox@egroups.com>,
Subject: Re: Illegal tire warm ups?? According to what rules.....
From: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:47:19 -0500
I can't find our region rules (St. Louis) but I bet were not covered very
well either :(  I'll dig them up and post them, but this brings me to
another point:

When we as event organizers are in the process of making rules, we need to
keep several things in mind:

1)  This sport is supposed to be fun, and grassroots.  We needn't make it so
official that it ruins the fun.  (Safety is excluded, of course)

2)  When you are making a rule, step back and think:  Why am I making this
rule?  Do we want to live with it for eternity?   Just because this rule
feels correct/needed now, will it still be so in 5 years with different
people/management/etc.?

3)  Can we enforce this rule?   And with who?  Using Sam's example, if you
have a 5 mph rule, do you have a radar speed trap with a worker issuing
tickets/dsq?  Are you ready to disqualify someone for driving 6mph, or is
8mph and under good enough?  If 8 mph is good enough, then why isn't the
rule 8 mph?  The rule can't be 8 mph because then you would have to allow
people to go 11!  A nasty slope to start going down!

I agree that without rules and enforcement, events can get out of hand.  I'm
also all for the notion that everybody follows the rules, not just certain
people, etc., but sometimes we react to a current event and then make a new
rule without thinking it through.  I've done this myself.  Then we end up
with rules that don't do the job they were intended to.

Food for though (or just to make you sick)

Dave W

PS I'm not nearly smart enough to have thought up all this myself, I just
added comments taken from people who are much smarter than me together and
made one coherent thought.