RE: Black & White ( was re: I'm Not Every Woman )

To: kkelly@spss.com
Subject: RE: Black & White ( was re: I'm Not Every Woman )
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 02:51:05 GMT
"Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com> wrote:

>Out in the real world, outside of team.net, I have felt much
>more resistance to running in the Open class, by both men and
>women, than I have by both men and women when I ran in the
>Ladies class. I don't think that's right.

Color me completely ignorant, Katie, but you used the word
"resistance" three times in your last message. I have to ask,
what resistance???  Maybe things are different on the left coast,
but I haven't seen any resistance to women running in the open
classes at any event that I've ever been to here on the east
coast.  Is the presence of a Y-chromosome in my genetic structure
somehow blinding me to this mass resistance? Has anybody, male or
female, ever looked you straight in the eyes and said that they
resent the fact that you're running open and not in the ladies
class?  I truly want to know where this perceived resistance is
coming from, because I haven't seen it.  I certainly didn't detect
it in my rather unique grid space in Topeka this year, and I'm
sure that I would have sensed something if it was there.

Here's something to think about.  If a guy goes into the ladies
restroom, he's considered a pervert.  If a woman goes into
the men's room, she's greeted as a hero and thrown a ticker
tape parade.  Hopefully, this little tidbit from the other
team's play book will help to alleviate some fear that I truly
think you're imagining.....

-Arthur ("Don't tell me this is all over that weenie shock protest"
                                                            edition.)